Four of Six Groundhogs Predict Early Spring
Posted on February 2, 2006Groundhog Day is an important North American holiday (with origins in Germany) where Americans and Canadians look to groundhogs to determine the next six weeks of weather. The forecast is complicated because there are multiple groundhogs each forecasting for a different region. Here is the forecast from a few of the groundhogs.
- Punxsutawney Phil (Pennsylvania) -- six more weeks of Winter
- Wiarton Willie (Ontario, Canada) -- early Spring
- Shubenacadie Sam (Nova Scotia) -- early Spring
- General Beau Lee (Georgia) -- early Spring
- Birmingham Bill (Alabama) -- six more weeks of Winter
- Jimmy the Groundhog (Sun Prairie, Wisconsin) -- early Spring
We should try some of this groundhog punch...How many "Phils" have there been over the years? There has only been one Punxsutawney Phil. He has been making predictions for over 120 years!
Punxsutawney Phil gets his longevity from drinking "groundhog punch," a secret recipe. Phil takes one sip every summer at the Groundhog Picnic and it magically gives him seven more years of life.