Mass Shooting Reported at Midnight Dark Knight Rises Showing in Aurora, CO
Posted on July 20, 2012
There has been a horrible mass shooting at a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises showing at Century 16 Movie Theaters in Aurora, Colorado. At least 12 people were killed and 59 were injured according to Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates. Details are still coming in, but is is being reported than an armed man wearing a gas masks entered the theater several minutes into the showing of the film. He started firing at random moviegoers. A suspect is in police custody. Theaters around the nation were obviously packed for the highly anticipated film.
Here are some highlights of this developing story:
- 12 people are confirmed killed and 59 are injured - 10 died at the theater and 2 at local hospitals
- There was a single shooter. He has been identified as James Holmes
- The shooter was wearing a gas mask and threw gas canisters
- People were hit through the walls in a theater next to the one the shooter was in
- The shooter reportedly said something to police about explosives, so police have been searching the theater and nearby theaters
- The apartment complex the suspect lives in was evacuated
- Police say the man's apartment is booby trapped
- The Paris premiere of the film was canceled.
- The Dark Knight Rises director Christopher Nolan has issued a statement on behalf of the film's cast and crew.