Andy Serkis: I Based Gollum's Voice on My Cat's Hairball Sound
Posted on August 6, 2011
The cast of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Andy Serkis, Freida Pinto and James Franco, were guests on The View. Freida reveals how she was scared she would never work again after Slum Dog Millionaire. James talked about his tweeting addiction and how he had to give it up.
Andy is a very interesting interview subject. Andy plays Caeser the chimp using motion capture technology. He was also the voice and actor behind Gollum in Lord of the Rings. Andy describes the process for translating his acting onto the screen, and even reveals how he created the voice of Gollum. He based the voice on the noise his cat makes just before he hacks up a hairball, which is just hilarious. Andy will reprise his role as Gollum in The Hobbit, which is filming now in New Zealand.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes is overperforming at the box office this weekend by quite a bit, so it looks like a hit.
This is an interview with AFI where Serkis also talks about finding Gollum's voice. Take a look:
- SNL Rap Video Weird Little Flute Features Kid Cudi
- Godzilla vs. Kong Tops Box Office
- Disney to Offer Cruella and Black Widow on Disneyplus Same Day as Theater Release
- Raya and The Last Dragon Tops Box Office for Third Consecutive Weekend
- The Marksman Tops Weekend Box Office Again