The Dark Tower Tops Weak Summer Box Office
Posted on August 6, 2017
The Dark Tower only made $19.5 million during its opening week but this was enough for it to win the weekend. The film based on Stephen King's series stars Idris Elba as The Gunslinger and Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black. It has a B CinemaScore.
Dunkirk finished just a couple behind The Dark Tower and took second place during its third weekend in theaters. It added $17.6 to bring its total gross to $133 million. It was followed by The Emoji Movie which made $12.3 million and Girls Trip, which made $11.4 million.
Kidnap starring Halle Berry debuted in 5th place. The $10.2 million opening gave it a $4,294 per theater average. It has a B+ CinemaScore. It is a smaller opening than Berry's The Call made in 2013. Detroit expanded to a wide release this weekend and made $7.25 million. It average $2,411 per theater.
You can view the weekend box office chart here. This was a very weak box office overall and the upcoming weekend may not be much bigger. There are no blockbusters opening. The opening films include Annabelle: Creation, The Glass Castle and The Nut Job 2.
- Godzilla vs. Kong Tops Box Office
- Disney to Offer Cruella and Black Widow on Disneyplus Same Day as Theater Release
- Raya and The Last Dragon Tops Box Office for Third Consecutive Weekend
- The Marksman Tops Weekend Box Office Again
- Eminem Makes Cameo in SNL's Fun Stan Parody Called Stu