The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Wins Weekend Box Office
Posted on December 15, 2013
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug easily won the box office this weekend. It made $73.7 million with a big per theater average of $18,887. The opening box office for the second Hobbit film was less than the box office of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which opened with a $84.6 million weekend.
Frozen continues to perform strongly in theaters. It made another $22 million during its fourth weekend in theaters and has now grossed $164 million after four weekends. Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas opened in third and made $16 million in 2,194 theaters for a $7,293 per theater average.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire fell to fourth, but added $13 million to bring its hefty four weekend total to $356 million. Catching Fire was followed by Thor: The Dark World, Out of the Furnace, Delivery Man and Philomena. You can find the complete weekend box office report here.
Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures
- Godzilla vs. Kong Tops Box Office
- Disney to Offer Cruella and Black Widow on Disneyplus Same Day as Theater Release
- Raya and The Last Dragon Tops Box Office for Third Consecutive Weekend
- The Marksman Tops Weekend Box Office Again
- Eminem Makes Cameo in SNL's Fun Stan Parody Called Stu