Quibi to Shut Down
Posted on October 21, 2020
Quibi is a short-form video streaming service founded by Jeffrey Katzenberg that launched in April. The service is closing down just six months later according to The Wall Street Journal.
The WSJ says problems for Quibi included "lower-than-expected viewership and a lawsuit." Even people being stuck indoors more with less to watch because of Covid-19 did not enable Quibi to thrive.
Quibi launched with short 5-10 minute shows featuring actors including Kevin Hart, Naomi Watts, Liam Hemsworth, Chrissy Teigen, Will Forte, Nicole Richie, Idris Elba and Keke Palmer.
A Variety report says Quibi launched with 51 shows and movies. Quibi offered a 90-day free trial and monthly pricing at $4.99 with ads and $7.99 ad-free.
- SNL Rap Video Weird Little Flute Features Kid Cudi
- Godzilla vs. Kong Tops Box Office
- Disney to Offer Cruella and Black Widow on Disneyplus Same Day as Theater Release
- Raya and The Last Dragon Tops Box Office for Third Consecutive Weekend
- The Marksman Tops Weekend Box Office Again